Monday, February 21, 2011

Chanelling my inner HGTV Designer..or trying to..

I love watching the HGTV channel! sometimes it's my absolute guilty pleasure to just watch all day! I get so inspired by all the home makeovers & renovations & also the new things I learn about designing, real estate, all that good stuff!

Hubby & I have recently purchased a house, or rather in the process of, we made an offer it got accepted after a few back & forth negotiations, now we're just waiting on the home inspection to be done & we will close in a few weeks. Exciting!! :)

I am always responsible for our home decor, furnishing & everything else lol I think of my design style as simple tropical modern yet homey kinda style..???.. yeah me too. lol I've been looking through the HGTV website for some inspiration. I would have really liked to incorporate some elements of our homeland (FIJI) into our home, right now all we have is a war club lol but I think that will have to wait till our next trip back home (I dunno when, maybe I win the lottery)...

Since we have a main level area and a basement level area, I have quite a bit to think about. For our main level living area, which consists of a living room, dining & kitchen, I am going to go for a light calming effect. My color palette would hopefully be within the beige/tan, chartreuse, mocha wood accents group. The basement level has a large family room/den (or man cave as my husband calls it) I would have to put all my existing furniture in there so the color palette would be dark brown, tan, reddish accents, sleek black..more of a cosy warm feel.

When I think about what furniture & decor I have to buy I always think about three main things.
  1. Price : above all else, I usually do not compromise on this area because I know if I cannot get something for a price I want, there will always be something else, I can always find something within my budget, I just need to be patient.
  2. Durability : I have 2 girls who are crazeee lol If the item is not child proof its unlikely to be in my house, for instance our sectional is microfiber, easy to clean..cushion covers are able to come off & machine washable, slip em back on they look good as new!
  3. Function & Style : I don't like to have too much things crowding up the room, the less the better & if they serve a purpose or even multi purpose that would be awesome for example, we have an ottoman,rectangular bench like, made with leather or pleather whatever you call it, put a tray on it 'voila' coffee table, also top opens up so its a storage for my girls toys & if we have guests with not enough sitting room 'voila' again sitting bench..and it looks great!
I'm one of those people who walk into a room and my mind is already wondering about all the endless possibilities I could do with the room and I can almost see my family living in there..when I first walked into the house we bought, I just had this feeling that this was going to be it! My mind was already thinking about color palettes, furniture, wall hangings, family dinners & what not..I'm excited to move into a place that is finally ours & start making it 'our' home..and once my husband gets back, it will be complete! :)



Peace & Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment