Saturday, February 5, 2011

Too proud to beg?

If you live in the states, there are SO many federal & state programs that assist families that are.. how can we put it..not related to Mark Zuckerberg?! I can admit & am not ashamed to say my family is working class, lower working class? at least that's what the state qualifies us as, one income household, stay at home mom & 2 kids..yep we are blessed :)

There's the common food stamp program, unemployment and WIC..I'm sure there's more programs but these are the common ones I hear about..we don't qualify for food stamps or unemployment but we do qualify for WIC, Women, Infants & Children.

Another friend of ours had told us about this program, you get checks every month, which you can reimburse for food items as specified on the checks. We thought, hey why not? little did we know the amount of money we saved on basic stuff such as milk, vegies, baby formula..they basically give us almost $200 worth of food for free every month and we don't even use up all the checks.

The issue I have noticed, some people are actually embarrassed to say that they receive WIC benefits. I mean I can understand how some people like to portray a lifestyle & being on WIC of course that shows your income isn't that substantial or not as much as you would like people to know. It's cool, I always believe in the saying "to each his own"..I on the other hand..

I come from a country where I seen people don't have food to eat, kids don't have meals for school or families subjected to having meals that are not nutritious due to the high cost of groceries and forget it if you think the government would give people checks every month so that they can improve the nutrition of women & children..we were not fortunate enough..so to come to the states & find that we can get help (save money as well) from a federal agency, I am far from embarrassed..I am extremely appreciative.

So people can look down on us, or agree with us all they want, sometimes we learn that where we come from definitely affects where we go & to appreciate all the help you can get..getting help is not a bad thing, it is a blessing, knowing with all the suffering & unfortunate people around the world its OK to put your pride away & humble yourselves..

Peace & Love.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya man, VAT has gone up to 15%, I don't know how the rest of our population living below the poverty line are going to survive. My youngest brother is now living with me because my husband and I can afford to help my family, Village life in Fiji is the hard knock life now. You are so lucky and the best thing about it is you know how lucky you are.

    I would have no shame in accepting those stamps....This is no time to be MADUA....it's about surviving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Props to you guys for toughing it out and not being ashamed of ur current situation :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete